This course is designed to provide students with a clear vision of how to perform the Acts of Worship (‘ibadat) according to the school of Imam Malik. The subjects to be dealt with will be:
This is an introductory level suitable for beginners but will also be beneficial to students of all levels. The main sourcebook of this course will be the chapter on Prayer of the Murshid al-Mu’in of Ibn ‘Ashir and its commentaries, and the Risala of Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani and its commentaries. Reference will also be made to the Aqrab al-Masalik and its commentaries, the Mukhtasar of Khalil and its commentaries, as well as other modern and authoritative works.
Students will be able to access and download the sessions and the instructor’s notes via the ‘Wiziq’ platform.
Course Overview by session:
- Introduction to the science of Fiqh. Brief introduction to the school of Imam Malik. Categories of the rulings of Fiqh (al-Hukm al-Fiqhi).
- Water for purification. Types of purification. Impure substances. Obligatory elements (fara’id) of wudu’. Sunna elements (sunan) of wudu’. Recommended elements (mustahabbat) of wudu’.
- Disliked elements (makruhat) of wudu’. Cases in wudu. What breaks wudu.
- Personal hygiene (istinja’ and istijmar). Obligatory elements (fara’id), sunna elements (sunan), recommended elements (mustahabbat), disliked elements (makruhat) of Ghusl and what breaks it.
- Obligatory elements (fara’id), sunna elements (sunan), recommended elements (mustahabbat), disliked elements (makruhat) of Tayammum and what breaks it.
- Wiping over the leather socks (khufs). Wiping over the splint. Some cases of menstruation (hayd) and post-natal bleeding (nifas).
- Definition and ruling of the prayer. Obligatory elements of the prayer (faraid as-salah).
- Conditions of performance (shurut ada’) of the prayer. Conditions that makes the prayer obligatory (shurut wujub).
- Times of the prayer (mawaqit as-salah). Confirmed sunan of the prayer (sunan mu’akkada).
- Sunan of the prayer (sunan ghayr mu’akkada).
- Recommended elements of the prayer (mustahabbat as-salah)
- Disliked elements of the prayer (makruhat as-salah). What invalidates the prayer (nawaqid as-salah)
- Classification of the prayer. The five prayers. Witr prayer (salat al-witr). Solar eclipse prayer (salat al-kusuf). Lunar eclipse prayer (salat al-khusuf).
- Person dying (al-muhtadar). Washing and shrouding the corpse (gasl wa kafn al mayyit). Burials (ad-dafn).
- Funeral prayer (salat al-janaza). Fear prayer (salat al-khawf). Travel prayer (salat as-safar).
- The ‘Eid prayer (salat al-‘id). The prayer for rain (salat al-istisqa’). The prayer of dawn (salat al-fajr). Other supererogatory prayers (nawafil).
- Prostrations of inattentiveness (sujud s-sahw). Missing obligatory elements of the prayer.
- Friday prayer (salat al jumu’a)
- Group prayer (salat al-jama’a)
- Joining the prayer late (ahkam al-masbuq). Appointing a replacement Imam (istikhlaf al-imam)
- Introduction to Zakat. Conditions of obligation (shurūṭ wujūb). Conditions of validity (shurūṭ ṣiḥḥa). Wealth subject to Zakat.
- Zakat on Livestock (zakā at-māshiya). No zakat on awqāṣ. Grouped categories in the zakat of livestock. Fiscal year for the zakat of livestock. Zakat of crops (zakā al-ḥarth). What crops are exempted from zakat. Grouped categories in the zakat on crops.
- Zakat on gold and silver (ʿayn). Effects on debt owed. Zakat on mines (maʿādin). Zakat on treasures (rikāz).
- Zakat on trade (tijāra). Zakat on debts. Zakat on profits.
- Recipients of Zakat. Matters relaters to payment of Zakat.
- Zakat al-Fitr. Jizya on Dhimmis. Taxes on harbi traders
- Virtues of the month of Ramadan, fasting and its legal categories, determining the time of Ramadan.
- Obligations and conditions of fasting, impediments of fasting, disliked elements of fasting.
- Recommended elements of fasting, breaking an obligatory fast, Tarawih.
- Laylatul-Qadr (Tafsir of Sura al-Qadr).
- , Virtues of I’tikaf, breaking a recommended fast, expiation.
- Zakat al-Fitr, Salat al-‘Id.
- Introduction to Hajj. Conditions of Ḥajj. The elements of Ḥajj. The pillars of Ḥajj. Sacrificial slaughtering.
- The obligatory elements of Ḥajj. Assuming iḥrām.
- Reaching Makka. Ṭawāf al-Qudūm. Saʿy.
- Rulings of Ṭawāf and Saʿy. Waiting for ‘Arafa. In ‘Arafa. Muzdalifa. First stoning at Minā.
- Tawāf al-Ifāḍa. Second stoning at Minā. Rules of Ihram.
- Rules of Ihram (continuation). ‘Umra.
- Adab of the Ḥaram of Makka. Visiting the tomb of the Prophet (saws). Returning home.