This course is designed to provide students with a clear understanding of the meanings of the short Suras that appear at the end of the Noble Quran, so they are able to understand what are they saying when they recite any of those Suras during their prayers.
The points that will be studied regarding each Sura will be:
– The Reasons of the Revelation (asbāb an-nuzūl) of the Sura or of particular ayats (verses) within the Sura
– The general topics dealt with in the Sura.
– An explanation of the whole Sura verse by verse.
– Specific words used in the Sura and the relevance of for their meaning.
– The grammatical, syntactical and rhetorical elements encompassed in the Sura.
– The legal and moral teachings derived from the Sura.
– Its application to our daily life and its relevance in relation to our present.
The Commentaries of the Quran (tafsīr) to be relied upon for during this course will be at-Tas-hīl liʿUlūm at-Tanzīl, by Ibn Juzay, Ḥāshiya al-ʿAdawī ʿalā Tafsīr al-Jalālayn by al-ʿAdawī, Tafsīr al-Khāzin, by al- Khāzin, Ṣafwah at-Tafāsīr, by aṣ-Ṣabūnī, among other authoritative books of Tafsīr.
Course Overview by Week:
1. Al-Layl – 1
2. Al- Layl – 2
8. Al-Bayyinah – 1
9. Al-Bayyinah – 2